Wednesday 23 April 2014

Old photos

This was inspired by looking at some old photos, but not those described here, and the family relationships are not mine

These photos are the archeology of our lives
This is me with my grandmother.
I was five and she, she was as old as I am now.
She always seemed so old to me
This is my mother with my daughter,
Her first grandchild, and her mother's eyes stare out at me
This is my mother with her mother
They stand frozen in time, over-exposed but unafraid,
Staring into the camera, hair and dresses caught by the wind
And blurred by time
This is my daughter with her own daughter
Named for my grandmother and with those same bright eyes
Earlier women who I don't remember; formal, stiff and posed
Yet still something to show me who they were
These are the strata of our family
And the bedrock is love

No comments:

Post a Comment